Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fiction paper prewrite

You rarely get to look over the shoulder of a writer during the writing process, so I'm going to talk my way through the writing of this paper.

I'm working on Raymond Carver's "Popular Mechanics." I began with the whole minimalist idea, and took some notes (mainly from my memory, because I've read the story several times, and I assume that things I remember well will be important in some way).

Non-minimalist things

The story is so minimal (and Bedford's editor uses the "minimalist" label) that non minimal things might be pretty important, so I listed them:
  • Cars "slushing" by
  • All the description of the first few lines, with the dirty water, etc.
  • The fascination with light: getting dark on the inside, turning off the light in the bedroom, the kitchen nearly dark
  • Flowerpot crashing to the floor
Minimalist things

It's sort of an "argument from absence," but the whole story is very flat, lacking in even ordinary conversation conventions:
  • No dialog blurbs
  • Not even quotation marks
  • No emotion words during the early part of the argument
  • Lots more indications of "minimalist" writing
Little stuff with deep indications
  • "getting dark on the inside too"
  • "it" (this baby) not "he" or "George"
  • grabbed an arm (how many does a baby have? doesn't even matter if it's left or right)
  • the darkest time physically is the darkest time emotionally